"Many folks are under the impression that all children in our community are financially stable. However, this is far from the truth. Statistics tell us that over 150 of our students are at or below the poverty level.
It is quite possible that this public misperception actually prevents us from acquiring donations that could help this segment of our population.
Over the past several years, through the generosity of local stores, community organizations and individuals, we have received donations of clothes and shoes. We are able to share these donated items in a very discrete, confidential and caring manner with our students living in poverty. Additionally, we have been given discretionary funds from organizations like the Stratton Foundation, and have been able to purchase personal care products and intimates for students in need. We are incredibly appreciative of this donation from the Stratton Foundation and assure you that the funds have made and continue to make an enormous difference in the lives of those less fortunate community friends."
~ Meg Cornell, Health Educator and School Nurse, Burr & Burton Academy
...From the Foundation
We hope you and your family enjoy all the wonderful aspects of our Stratton community. The skiing is great and surrounding towns offer our mountain families and guests a Vermont experience to cherish. Still, our local community faces many challenges with critical needs.
The devastation of Hurricane Irene showed all of us what can be achieved when we come together as a philanthropic community to assist those most in need. With 32% of southern Vermonters living below the poverty level, that commitment continues as the Stratton Foundation identifies families who are in need as a result of tragic life changing events. We are working to integrate community resources to maximize opportunity and to provide the financial support to insure that the needs are met. The Foundation continues to support local programs that serve to address critical necessities, such as food and nutrition, housing and heat, and more!
On behalf of a community who knows the importance of your contribution, we thank you for your continued support generous contributions. Your gifts make an enormous difference for so many all year round!
FEMA said no!
Stratton Foundation & Vermont say YES!
The governor announced Tuesday 3/12/2013 that the state has come up with the money to help buy those properties that were destroyed by Tropical Storm Irene, and that FEMA has deemed ineligible for its funding.
VT Governor Shumlin announced the state will use Community Development Block Grant Funds to cover 75 percent of the cost of buying any destroyed homes deemed ineligible by FEMA.
"We're going to rebuild this state better than the way Irene found us. Everybody's in," said Shumlin. "And we work together with our extraordinary congressional delegation and with the resources that we have to make sure they get the buy outs that everybody gets so we don't leave them behind."
So far FEMA has deemed at least twelve properties are not eligible for its funding. At least seven are appealing. But five properties have no hope of appeal, including four much-loved homes in Jamaica.
Now Jamaica's families have learned the state is committing to paying them 75 percent of the pre-Irene assessed-value of their homes. And the Stratton Foundation will contribute to the $80k already distributed to fulfill the remaining 25 percent to detract from any remaining mortgages and residual storm damage expenses.
The Stratton Foundation is thrilled that the state has found the funds that, when added to the Foundation's contributions, will help our four families in Jamaica regain their financial footing. It has been a long haul for these folks and we hope they can continue on their path to recovery in the wake of their challenges. "Thanks to the generosity of our community and the Foundation's commitment to those affected by Irene we are happy to see the close of our mission is in sight", stated Sky Foulkes, Stratton Foundation Chairman.
[CLICK HERE FOR COMPLETE ARTICLE]
Follow Us on Facebook